api.met.no/weatherapi is an interface to a selection of data produced by MET Norway. The data are available for use under a Creative Commons license. See also separate conditions for use of the service.
All regular users of the API are strongly recommended to subscribe to our API-users mailing list as this is the only channel on which we will communicate planned changes outside the API itself.
For operational status and maintenance notifications, see status.met.no (please bookmark in case there is a problem with the site).
Now also available as XML!
|Errornotifications||1.0||Error notifications from the WeatherAPI system||✓||✓||✓|
|Extremeforecast||1.0||Textual extreme forecast.||✓||✓|
|ExtremesWWC||1.2||The Wettest, Warmest and Coldest places||✓||✓|
|Forestfireindex||1.1||Reporting danger level of forest fires.||✓||✓||✓|
|Geosatellite||1.4||Images from geostationary satellites||✓||✓||✓|
|Gribfiles||1.1||Serve grib files on the coast from Oslo and Western Norway||✓||✓||✓|
|Icemap||1.0||Maps as images showing current ice conditions in the arctic regions.||✓||✓||✓|
|Lightning||1.0||lightning data delivered in UALF||✓||✓||✓|
|Locationforecast||1.9||Weather forecast for a specified place||✓||✓||✓|
|LocationforecastLTS||1.3||Weather forecast for a specified place, long term support.||✓||✓|
|MetAlerts||1.1||1.0||Meteorological alerts (new format that will be phased in)||✓||✓|
|Metgm||1.0||Deliver meteorological forecast data in METGM format for defined areas||✓||✓||✓|
|Mountaineasterobservations||1.0||manual observations from DNT mountain cabins during easter.||✓||✓||✓|
|NLAroutes||1.0||Vertical cross sections for flight routes||✓||✓||✓|
|Nowcast||0.9||Nowcast for a specified place.||✓||✓||✓|
|Oceanforecast||0.9||Ocean forecast for a specified place||✓|
|Polarsatellite||1.1||Images from satellites in polar orbit||✓||✓||✓|
|Probabilityforecast||1.1||Probability forecast for a specified place||✓||✓|
|Radar||1.5||Radar images from various locations||✓||✓||✓|
|Radarlightning||1.1||Radar images from various locations||✓||✓||✓|
|Sigmets||1.0||Get sigmets and airmets for Norway||✓||✓|
|Spotwind||1.0||Spotwinds in XML||✓||✓||✓|
|Subjectiveforecast||1.0||Forecasts and analyses charts from the meteorologist||✓||✓|
|Sunrise||1.1||When does the sun rise and set for a given place?||✓||✓|
|Tafmetar||1.0||Receive Taf/Metar from airports||✓||✓||✓|
|Temperatureverification||1.0||Verification of temperature forecast.||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Textforecast||1.6||Textual weather forecast for all parts of the country||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Textlocation||1.0||All available textual forecasts for a given point.||✓||✓|
|Tidalwater||1.1||Tidal water information||✓||✓|
|UVforecast||1.0||A prognosis of UV radiation||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Upperwindweather||1.1||Upperlevel wind and weather charts||✓||✓||✓|
|VerticalProfile||1.1||Vertical profiles of wind and weather||✓||✓|
|Weathericon||1.1||deliver weather icons.||✓||✓|
Data owned by other institutions than MET Norway is not available for unrestricted public use. This is specified in the documentation of each product. Examples of such products are the Nordic radar images and some satellite images. Refer to the documentation of each product.
- Nowcast: 2017-09-11
Added coverage method
- Sigmets: 2017-08-03
- Unnecessary parameters made optional, added option to show all warnings
- MetAlerts: 2017-07-22
- - Experimental support for search by coordinates
- Nowcast: 2017-06-21
New schema, now returns empty XML when no radar data available
- MetAlerts: 1.1, 2017-05-20
- - New version of CAP format (1.0). MetAlerts 1.0 will expire 2017-12-01
- Radarlightning: 2017-05-12: New radars added
The following new radars have been added: andoya, bomlo, hagebostad, rissa, rost.
- LocationforecastLTS: version 1.3 : 2017-02-13
- - New version 1.3. The old version, 1.2, will expire at 2017-05-09.
- - With this new version we have expired an old forecast model. As a conequence of this, areas in northern europe that previously had 1 hourly resolution short term forecast will temporarily get 3 hour resolution instead.
- Radar: 2017-01-25: update of v1.5
- new xband radar "mobileradar"
- Gribfiles: Update of 1.1 2016-12-15
- - added areas nordland and troms-finnmark
- VerticalProfile: updated version 1.1: 2016-12-07
- * New profile "airquality" (no longer restricted)
- Gribfiles: Update of 1.1 2016-12-05
- - added area n-northsea
Other data sources at MET Norway
- MET historical weather and climate data API
- eKlima for observations (historical data)
- wsKlima for observations (historical data), web service interface
- THREDDS for model and research data, including sea and ice models
- search and distribution solution for polar data
- OSISAF (EUMETSAT Ocean and Sea Ice Satellite Application Facility)
- NORMAP (Norwegian Satellite Earth Observation Database for Marine and Polar Research)
- Norwegian Ice Service - icecharts & ice information
There is also a list of free meteorological data available for download at the main MET site.